RTSP (real time streaming protocol) is a protocol for controlling real-time multimedia streams.
RealNetwork, Netscape, and IBM co-developed.
Infrastructure for Multi-Point Streaming Applications
○ RTSP has the purpose of providing protocols for multimedia stream control in multi-branch applications that use both unicast or multicast connectivity in the application layer, but it can be seen as infrastructure rather than protocol.
Operates by client/server form
○ Structure, grammar, and operation are very similar to HTTP.
○ The setting and control of multiple multimedia sessions is controlled by RTSP.
○ Resource management setup and reservation of RTSP can be used with RSVP.
Several protocols are involved
○ The real-time transmission mechanism of real multimedia information is based on RTP/RTCP.
- RTP/RTCP Generates and controls time-synchronized streams in audio, video, etc.
○ Works on a variety of transport protocols, including reliable TCP and unreliable UDP
- Mainly operating on UDP
- RTSP (RTCP) real-time packets are delivered with the help of these protocols.
○ Use a different channel than RTP,RTCP (use 554 times as a different port number than the data transfer port)
- RTP,RTCP is transmitted over the same channel.
- RSTP performs full streaming control using channels different from RTP/RTCP.
ㅇ Setup, Play, Forward, Rewind, Pause, Stop, Rescue, Record, TEARDOWN, etc.
- This is a home VCR applied to the Internet.
ㅇ Examples of implementations by the Internet Web